- Do you work in an elementary school in Maryland or Washington D.C.?
- Do students in your school use tablets, computers, or other devices to get online?
- Do you use apps, online games, or websites when teaching children?
Participate in a research study at the University of Maryland!
What is the study about?
We hope to better understand how educators use these technologies in school and how privacy and security issues factor into this technology use. To do this, we are hosting focus groups with elementary-school educators, including teachers, instructional assistants, IT specialists, and media specialists.
This is part of a larger study focused on how children ages 5-11 navigate new technologies like apps, smartphones, and tablets. This research has been approved by the University of Maryland’s Institutional Review Board.
What do I have to do to participate?
Participation involves coming to an in-person focus group that will last about 90 minutes. At the focus group, we will also ask you to fill out a short (5-10 minute) survey.
Participating in our study is completely voluntary. Even if you decide to participate now, you may change your mind and stop at any time. At the end of the focus group, you will receive a $15 Amazon gift card.
When are the focus groups?
- Tuesday Aug. 8 from 1:30-3:00 pm at the Mt. Pleasant Library, 3160 16th St. NW, Washington, DC
- Monday Aug. 14 from 10:00-11:30 am at the Silver Spring Library, 900 Wayne Ave., Silver Spring, MD
- Tuesday, Aug. 15 from 10:00-11:30 am at the Pikesville Library, 1301 Reisterstown Rd., Pikesville, MD
- Wednesday Aug. 16 from 5:00-6:30 pm at the Rockville Library, 21 Maryland Ave., Rockville, MD
Sign up to attend a focus group here: https://go.umd.edu/educator.
- Priya Kumar, Graduate Student, University of Maryland, College Park
- Dr. Marshini Chetty, Research Scholar, Princeton University
- Dr. Tammy Clegg, Assistant Professor, University of Maryland, College Park
- Dr. Jessica Vitak, Assistant Professor, University of Maryland, College Park
Feel free to contact me, Priya Kumar, at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have questions or want to learn more about the study.